Wednesday, March 27, 2013

DIY Baby Tutu

My baby girl turned 1.  I am not a crafty person but I am a proud mama, I want to make her something special for her birthday.  I decided to make her a Tutu.  Tutu is just freaking adorable on babies.


I am not going to write a tutorial because there are already many tutorials available online.  However, I am going to give you some tips if you are planning on making one yourself.  I think these will help answer any questions and make your project goes more smoothly.

Tip #1 - I have never worked with Tulle before so I had no idea what to get.  You can get 6 inches wide spool.  You will need two spools of 25 yards, 50 total for one baby skirt.  I didn't use up both spools but one was not enough.  I ordered mine from Deana's Craft on Etsy.  Her price is great and super fast shipping.

Tip #2 - Tulle is harder to cut then I though because they stick together if you try to layer one on top of another.  The best and fastest way is to wrap them around a cardboard.  To see what I mean, you can check out this tutorial.

Tip #3 - As you tie your tulle, that eats up fabric, so add 2 inches to whatever length you want the skirt to be.  For example, if you want your skirt to be 8 inches long then you would do 8x2+2=18.  (The reason you do times 2 is because you fold your tulle in half as you tie them)  I didn't add an extra 2 inches and my daughter's tutu came out shorter than I wanted it :(

Tip #4 - Your elastic band will stretch as you tie the tulle.  Therefore, whatever the waist size it, minus that by 2 to 3 inches and that should be the length of the elastic band.

I hope this help.  You can also embellish your tutu with ribbon like I did or flowers, bows, etc.  If you are making one, do leave a comment and let me know your experience.  Would love to see some pictures as well.  Also, if you have any other tips, do share :)

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails