The best things you can do for your skin is to develop a skincare routine and be diligent about it. Often time when I see a Korean movie stars, I always admire over how smooth and porcelain their skin are. It’s probably a combination of good gene, healthy food intake, makeup, and diligent skincare.
Below is a step by step routine for night time:
1. Cleanse/Double Cleansing: A while back I wrote about double cleansing which provide more information on this process. When necessary, use cleansing oil to remove make up and dirt. Make sure not to pull on the eye area. Then cleanse your face with a gentle facial cleanser that is suitable for your skin type.
2. Tone: Use a toner to remove any last trace of residue. It also help balances out your skin PH level after washing and help prep your skin for better absorption of serum. Find one that is suitable for your skin type or for your specific treatment need (example: such as brightener).
3. Use a mask and facial massage once or twice a week: Masks comes in a variety, such as brightening, purifying, hydrating, exfoliating, etc. For summer, a gentle clay mask is ideal as it help eliminate oil. Then there is also the weekly facial massage to encourage good blood circulation. Some Asian brands carry facial massage cream for this purpose. However, I imagine you can just use your regular face lotion or cream.
4. Serum: It is basically a “more concentrated” amount of active ingredients than what you would get in a cream. Also, since its texture is normally in a liquid or light gel form, it is easier for your skin to absorb. On days that you don’t wear a mask, you would apply serum right after your toner. Personally, I think if you are still young, it is okay to skip the serum step to save yourself some time and money.
5. Moisturize: Depending on the season, you will want to find a suitable moisturizer. It also helps seal in the serum. If you have very dry skin in the winter, use a cream instead of lotion. For oily skin, try a gel type like Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer.
There you have it. Sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it? =) I have to admit, I myself don't always follow all the steps. But when I do, I always enjoy the relaxation and benefit a good mask provide.