Tuesday, February 14, 2012

When to Toss Out Your Makeup?



It has probably been almost a year since I goes through and clean out my beauty stashes.  I ended up with a bag full of stuff to toss out, either due to the color not working with my skin tone, allergic reaction, and last but not least, expiration.  It makes me feel bad, like I am being wasteful.  On the other hand, what do you do with color that is not suited for you (well, I should have try to return what I can)?  More importantly, you should not be using old cosmetic, it could cause break out and other skin irritation. It makes me wonder, how long do you keep your cosmetic before you throw them out?

I am not very strict but here is a rough guide line how long you should keep things.

-Mascara – no more than 3 months (this is the one I am careful about because I do not want eyes infection and I never share my mascara with anyone, period!)

-Liquid Foundation/Tinted Moisturizer/Primer - 12 months.  I follow the same guideline for anything that is liquid or cream base.  I also smell and check the consistency if I have not use it in awhile.  If it changes color, smell funny, or separate even after shaking, I'd toss it out.

-Powder Foundation/Blush/Eyeshadow - up to 24 months.  With powder, I think you have more room to decide how long you should keep a product.  It does not go bad as fast as liquid base and easier to sanitize.  Sometime I use a cotton pad wet with alcohol and wipe both the container and lightly top layer of the product.  Wait for it to dry, if the top harden, just scrape it off lightly, a thin layer with a butter knife.


Off topic, I was looking forward to trying Alba products because they are natural.  Unfortunately, the toner burned my skin the second I applied it.  Both sunscreen gave me horrible rashes that lasted almost two weeks.  At first, I did not know what caused my rash until my husband and friend got the same allergic reaction from using these sunscreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails