I had the pleasure of doing a Q&A session with celebrity stylist Tippi Shorter, whose clients include Beyonce and Alicia Keys. The focus of this interview is on 2010 hair trends and professional how to tips.
1. What are 2010 hair trends and can you give us tips on how the average person can style this hairstyle in 15 mins?
Controlled volume and sleek ponytails are two of my favorite 2010 hair trends. They can easily be achieved in around 15 minutes or less, depending on your hair length and texture. If you have a limited amount of time, a ponytail is a classic that looks fabulous on almost everyone.
Here is the scoop on how to:
Big, sexy volume
- Begin this look by running volumizing mousse through hair from root to tip.
- Create soft curls by setting hair with curlers (like Advance Techniques Pillow Curlers). Spray a light mist of hair spray to ensure hair will hold curl.
- Remove the curlers from your hair. Flip hair over front of head and spray with additional hair spray to create extra volume and hold. Run fingers through hair to loosen curls for a soft finish.
- To create the perfect canvas for a defined part, start with clean, smooth hair.
- Apply serum to the ends of your hair and a straight smoothing balm from root to tip. Using a brush (she recommends Advance Techniques Cushion Brush), blow dry hair straight.
- Use a comb to create a defined part on the side of the head. Pull all hair into a tight, sleek bun at the back of the neck to make the part really stand out. Spray a light mist of shine spray to create a high-sheen finish.
2. Can you give us tips on how to grow and maintain long hair?
Always make sure to nourish hair with masks and treatments that have hydrating and soothing ingredients. Each person’s hair is unique and needs special attention. Advance Techniques Moisture Sleek Collection is a universal collection from Avon that works to smooth several different hair types. Also, to maintain long, healthy hair, get trims regularly.
3. What is the trend for 2010 bridal hairstyles? Is there any new trend for bridal hair accessories?
Weddings are a time to celebrate and experiment with hair styles and accessories. Trends for 2010 include flowing, luscious waves, sleek ponytails and ballerina buns used to achieve a formal yet chic and sexy look. I love accessories; they can change the look and feel of a hairstyle! Brides have so many choices from jeweled headbands to clips to wearing fresh flowers in the hair. The accessories greatly depend on the fabric, style and build of the dress.
4. Can you give us some recommendation for both higher end and budget friendly hair care products?
Look for multi-tasking hair care products. I love Avon's Advanced Techniques Dry Ends Serum, which works to repair damaged hair and add shine (and it's only $5.00). I also love Ojon if you're looking for a splurge. The most important thing is finding products that work best for your hair type.
You might also like:
How To Achieve Beautiful Eyebrows
Asian 5 Steps Skincare Routine